Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ironman? Not this year...

As I mentioned earlier, James 4 has been the verse, or verses, of the year.

I had big plans for 2009. I was signed up to compete in the 2009 Louisville Ironman. I had my training regime all worked out. I was going to swim and run through the winter...ride when weather permitted. I was going to train hard for the 2009 Boston Marathon. I figured that would break up the focus of the training year. I could focus hard on the marathon. Then after the marathon I could focus hard on the Ironman. It was all planned out. I was motivated. I was enjoying being in the pool...a first for me. I was running well, swimming better, and cycling well. It was looking to be a great first Ironman.

Things started to go awry when a job opportunity came along. Late in December I heard about and applied for an overseas teaching position. There's a school in La Paz, Bolivia called Highlands International School. It is a Christian school. I have a friend who's been teaching there for the past three years. She loves her job and the stories and adventures she goes on always sound amazing. Well, I was informed of an opening at this school for the Spiritual Life Director... I applied. I interviewed. I was offered. I accepted!

Initially, I was hoping I could take the job and compete in the Ironman...surely it would all work out. As I continued with the interview process, however, the Ironman started to seem less and less likely. School would start in the middle of August. I would need to be there end of July...best case scenario, I would come home for the Ironman weekend, compete, fly back and continue teaching.

The director didn't think this to be the ideal situation. It would make me miss a lot of school. I would miss a lot of training... and it would have made for a grueling week of traveling and competition... So the more I thought and prayed about it, I decided to forgo the Ironman and take this job.

So that's what I've done. I have decided not to compete the Louisville Ironman. I leave for Bolivia on July 25!!!

I'm excited. really excited. It feels like God has a hold of my life. I'm on the road to God only knows.

I'm still running Boston Marathon. It's next Monday. But since Louisville fell through my training hasn't really been going great...I've been cycling a TON! But running...not so much. So Monday will be interesting.

Should make for a fun weekend, though. I'm going to Boston with one of my close friends and we're meeting up with and staying with some of our close friends. Should be awesome.

I can't promise that I'll write an update after the marathon...but I will try.

This blog is no longer an Ironman training blog ("when was it ever an ironman training blog?") I will try to keep things current though. I will try to share about my experiences in Bolivia, teaching, living, serving.

Keep it real, y'all.

3 comments:

Courtney Patch said...

nice entry.

i expect you to keep this up.

love,

your sister and loyal blog reader.

zds said...

thanks, sister and loyal blog reader :)

love, your brother and terrible blog poster.

ps. i'm about to try for two days in a row :)

Abby said...

I think you made the right decision to not come back for the marathon. It would have been so hard on you and I know you wouldn't have been happy if you couldn't perform at your peak for this.