Thursday, April 16, 2009

Death and Resurrection

I've been thinking about Christ's death and resurrection lately.

I think I understand the point of the death. I'm sure I don't understand it fully. But I get that Christ lived a perfect life. The penalty of our sin is death. And Christ paid that penalty on the cross. He took the punishment for my sin. He had to die because of my sin, our sin. He is the atoning sacrifice. Penal Substitutionary Atonement. Penal - death is required. Substitutionary - Christ died in my place. Atonement - through his blood we're made one with God, the relationship is reconciled.

And I believe in the resurrection. I believe Christ rose from the dead after three days. I believe that it was prophesied. I believe he said he was going to come back to life. However, I have trouble getting my mind around why he had to come back to life. What did it accomplish...what was completed with him coming back to life?

My friends and my mom have given some good insights.

The wages of sin is death. Jesus paid the penalty in dying and conquered death by coming back to life. So death has no power over us. We are in Christ, we are new creation.

Jesus is also our High Priest. He is our intercessor before God. In coming back to life, he returns and is our constant and eternal intercessor.

Also, the fact that he said he was coming back to life. Coming back to life and appearing to his disciples, proved who he is! He is who he said he was!

So, yeah, this really has nothing with endurance sports, or going to Bolivia...just something that was on my mind.

I'd love to hear/read any further thoughts.

No comments: