Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Good and Bad

I have an injury. I banged up my ribs pretty good while coaching wrestling on Saturday. It's a frustrating injury. You don't realize how often you use the muscles in and around your ribs.

Breathing in.
Exhaling.
Sitting up.
Using a screw driver.
Buckling the seat belt.
Lots of day to day activities have been affected.

It's been bad. I'm not able to practice with the wrestlers as well or as much as I'd like. Also, I've not been able to train for the Ironman as I'd like.

I tried swimming yesterday evening. I didn't even make it one length of the pool. I don't know why I thought I'd be able to swim...

But therein lies the good. I think this is the first time in my life that I actually wanted to swim and wasn't able to! That was a good thing. I feel I've hurtled a mental block.

I'm anxious to swim and anxious to improve my swim.

So, yes. I'm hoping my ribs heal in the next day or two. I'm, surprisingly enough, ready to get in the pool!!!

4 comments:

Courtney Patch said...

Doh! It is amazing how much you feel in your ribs when you move. I (think) I broke one because I coughed really hard when I first moved to St. Louis, and I was the worst pain! for months! hmmm, that wasn't very encouraging. :)

zds said...

months, huh?? hehe, hopefully, mine isn't broken and heals quickly. each morning i keep thinking i'll wake up and the pain will be gone :)

brian said...

yeah, when i cracked three of my ribs in the accident it hurt for a reeeeaaaaally long time. Hopefully yours isn't too bad though.

Thomas said...

I remember this blog. Guess the author gave up on achieving his dreams....