Saturday, October 11, 2008

Columbus Marathon

I've got a marathon a week from tomorrow! I'm pretty excited about running this marathon. The past month and a half I've really picked up my running mileage. There was a three week stretch were I did weekend long runs of 18, 22, and 20 miles. I've also been doing faster paced 10-11 mile runs on Tuesday morning. And the occasional 5-6 mile run on Thursday or Friday.

I do most of my running with Doug Maxwell. He's also signed up for the Louisville Ironman. I enjoy running with him. You get to be really good friends with training partners. I might spend 10 hours a week with some of my training partners...I don't spend that much time with my family and close friends!

I feel ready for the race. I'm having a slight tendon issue in my left quad/hip area..but as I take it easy this next week, I anticipate that calming down.

My plan was to take a rest day yesterday. However, I just can't take a rest day when it's sunny and 80 degrees! It was such a beautiful day I had to do something!! So i went for a 30 mile bike ride :) I think I have problems. I don't know how to taper and take days off... but, to be fair, I did soft pedal...I wasn't hammering for 30 miles. I actually felt better after the ride. Flushed the legs out. Got the heart rate up. Stoked the fires a bit.

So I'm feeling good. I ran 7 miles today with no issues.

I'm not sure what I'll do this last week. I definitely want to be fresh on Sunday morning ready to race. But I don't want to be sluggish...so it's that balance of resting and not over resting...

i'm also really excited because I'll be running the marathon with my mom! I'm not sure she's declared a "qualify for Boston" goal...but I've declared it for her :) I think she's got the speed...it's just a matter of having all the pieces come together on race day.

Either way, no matter how we do, it will be a great day!

2 comments:

JBD said...

i remember when we once spent 9 hours together one week and by saturday afternoon we ended up just wrestling with one another. oh to be boys again!

JBD said...

and where is this picture you've promised your readers? upper torso me zachary!