Friday, September 19, 2008

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

"All to the greater glory of God."

Have you ever seen Chariots of Fire? There's a line from that movie where Eric Liddell says to his critical sister, "When I run I feel His pleasure." I've always loved that line. I've always loved that truth and have resonated with it.

Endurance sports are more to me than just a physical challenge. Though they are that, and I do love the challenge... pushing my body to the limit. Endurance sports are more to me than just a way to stay fit. Though, they are that, and I do enjoy being fit. Endurance sports are more to me than just a way to eat whatever I want. Though I do enjoy the diet my sport allows.

To me endurance sports are Worship. I truly feel the Lord's pleasure when I'm running, cycling... not so much when I'm swimming, hehe. and I do truly, strive to do all things to the greater glory of God.

Now, honestly, I don't always keep this holy mindset. Sometimes I'm just riding to get the ride in.

And it's sort of illusory. You can say the ride is going to be worship. You can pray that God would be glorified through the race...but it's not really tangible. It's a focus. It's a mindset. I'm not really sure I can explain how I give God glory through my ride or my run. I'm not even sure that when I say I am that I actually am. But I try.

But, yes, the IRONMAN. I pray that this year of training will be a year of worship. I pray that the 10+ hours I spend in the water and on the roads of Louisville would bring God glory.

All to the greater glory of God.

No comments: