Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fast Pive Months.


I decided I didn't like my most recent post. So I'm editing it:)

I did like the last line, so I'll keep that.

I think, really, I just wanted to share that I'm engaged! However, seeing as how the only people who read this blog already know that, it's probably kind of a silly thing to blog about.

I guess I could explain my subject. It comes from our engagement story.

I was standing with Carolyn at the church in Mt. Adams shivering, enjoying being with each other, and enjoying the view. The ring was weighing heavy in my pocket. My mind had gone blank...However, this was the moment I'd been thinking about since around September...asking Carolyn to marry me! I had some things planned to say, but standing there with my girl in the freezing cold trying to get up the nerve to get on one knee, i couldn't for the life of me recall what some things were.

The cold was becoming really cold. I finally remembered sort of what I was going to say. Either way, I needed to say something. I turned to face her and began. This spot is where we had our first date back in June. It was a lovely evening together. I think we were together for close to 8 hours and there wasn't one lull...It was just an amazing evening. However, back in June I was struggling with reconciling the feelings I was feeling for her with the fact that I was leaving the country in two months to Bolivia to teach... On the night of the engagement I explained that the last time we were at this spot (for our first date) I had no idea what was going to happen. We decided to date long distance. I told her the past five months, but I actually said the "fast pive months" (I was nervous!:) had been amazing. That I loved her so much and that it was nice being back at this spot again (on the night of the engagement) knowing that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. At this point I pulled out the ring, got down on one knee, and said, "Carolyn, will you marry me?" She said yes!

A lot has happened in the fast pew months. I finished up the first semester of teaching about half way through December. I had a wonderful 3.5 week Christmas break at home in Cincinnati with Carolyn. With my family. With my friends. It couldn't have been better. Now I'm back in La Paaaaz, beginning the second semester of classes. Carolyn is going to visit in April! We can't wait:)

At this point, Newandis' comment doesn't really make any sense, so I guess I should add again that after being engaged I learned that fiancee is spelled with 2 Es:)

I'm now back in Bolivia. There is so much to look forward to. My heart aches for Carolyn. I think it will be a long semester...but a good semester. I am thankful to be teaching again and with the students. I'm praying for focus and for peace and for joy. I trust that God knows what He's doing...

Life is good on the road to God only knows.